Rubbish and electricals
Household rubbish is collected weekly. All waste must inside your rubbish bin in tied carrier bags or sacks. No waste outside of the bin will be collected.
Bins must be out ready for collection by 7.30am on your collection day.
To reduce the amount of rubbish we collect, think before you throw and reduce, reuse and recycle where you can.
Rubbish we will collect
- Normal household rubbish that can’t be recycled
- Broken glass, crockery and other sharp objects wrapped in paper within a bag to avoid injury
- Used nappies and pet litter tied securely in a bag
- Small electrical items placed in a plastic bag next to your rubbish bin
Rubbish we won’t collect
- Items that can be recycled in your REDtop bin
- Shoes, clothes, curtains, bed sheets, blankets or towels (these can be collected by our textiles recycling service)
- Garden waste
- Large items which won’t fit in a bin sack (these can be collected by our bulky waste collection service or taken to the Household Waste Recycling Site.
- Any individual item which weighs more than 25kg
- Building waste, soil or rubble
- DIY waste
- Paints, cleaning fluids and other hazardous liquids
- Asbestos and other hazardous waste
- Clinical waste and needles (these can be collected by our clinical waste collection service)
- Business waste
Small electricals collections
You can recycle old or broken small electrical items by placing them into a standard carrier bag next to your rubbish bin.
They will be taken once a week, along with your rubbish bin on your scheduled collection day.
This service isn’t available if you live in a flat with large communal bins, use the Household Waste Recycling Site instead.
We will collect
- All electrical items smaller than 35cm x 40cm (able to fit into a standard size carrier bag).
- DVD players
- Games consoles
- Mobile phones
- Remote controls
- Small kitchen appliances
- Smoke detectors
- Cables and plugs
We won’t collect
- Fridges and freezers
- Light bulbs
- Microwave ovens
- TVs and monitors
- Vacuum cleaners
- Washing machines
- Batteries and gas cylinders from hair styling equipment.