Moving into your council house

Useful links and information when you move into your council house or flat.


Sign up to myCrawley, it makes using our website even easier. You can report repairs, pay your rent and tell the council about other problems using forms that already have your name and address filled in.

Living in your home

You need to read and understand your tenancy agreement as it tells you about all the terms and conditions of your tenancy. If you don’t keep to the terms of your tenancy agreement you could lose your home. See Crawley Homes tenancy agreements.

The tenants handbook is a guide to Crawley Homes and your tenancy.

We recommend you get home contents insurance as we don’t insure your belongings. Crystal insurance scheme for tenants is arranged in conjunction with Thistle Tenant Risks.

Managing your money

Moving into your home will cost money but we would urge you to be realistic about what you can afford. As a council tenant, you can email our Money Advisors at if you’re struggling to get together the basics.

Help with housing costs

If you live on a low income, you may be able to get help with your rent by claiming Housing Benefit or by claiming Universal Credit.

Visit the Citizens Advice website for help with claiming Universal Credit.


Call 01293 438111 to report a repair, including gas and heating repairs and gas safety check appointments.

You can also report non urgent repairs on myCrawley.

Make sure you are at home for any appointments made and call us if you have to cancel.

Report a non urgent repair

Council Tax

Fill in the change of address form to register for Council Tax at your new home.

Complete the change of address form

Gas and electricity

You need to get in touch with gas and electricity suppliers as soon as you move in.

Vist the Find My Supplier website for information on who the current supplier is to your home or call 0870 608 1524. 

For electricity suppliers and your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) visit UK power networks or call 0800 0294 285.

If you smell gas call 0800 111 999.

If you experience a power cut visit UK power networks' website or call 105.

Gas safety check

The annual gas safety check and service keeps your heating working efficiently and helps to keep you safe. 

Watch a video on the dangers of carbon monoxide.


Southern Water supply water to most homes in Crawley. Visit Southern Water's website for more information.

Thames Water provide waste water services to homes supplied by Southern Water. Visit Thames Water's website for more information.

If you live in Maidenbower, your supplier is South East Water. Visit South East Water's website for more information.

If you live in Forge Wood, your supplier is Independent Water Networks. Visit Independent Water Networks' website for more information.

Find your stopcock

A stopcock is a valve for turning the cold water system in your home on and off. It is usually found in your kitchen below the sink but not always.

Watch a video to help you locate your stopcock.


Register to vote

Personal information

If you want us to be able to talk to other people about your rent account or tenancy you’ll need to give us written permission.

Find out more about how we use your information and rights by reading our Fair Processing Notice and Crawley Homes Privacy Notice.

Continuous recording of social housing lettings and sales

Since 2004, we have shared data about new lettings with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. To find out more, read the privacy notice for tenants/buyers of new social housing tenancies.