Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a payment to help with your living costs and your housing cost. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income and either in work or out of work.

Child restriction

Read the Government's information about claiming UC for families with more than two children.

Council Tax reduction

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. The Department for Work and Pensions will no longer accept a claim for Council Tax Reduction at the same time as you claim UC.

You must apply for Council Tax support through the council's Benefits Service, and provide any evidence needed to support your claim.

If you don't send your Council Tax Reduction claim to us when you apply for UC you may lose benefit entitlement as we are not able to backdate it.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If your Universal Credit has been worked out and the housing payment does not meet your full rent you can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). 

DHP are administered by us. You can claim a DHP if your Housing Benefit or your Universal Credit Housing Cost element does not meet your full rent. 

DHP can only be paid to meet the shortfall of UC housing costs or housing benefit towards your rent.