Resident parking questions

During hours of operation, parking is permitted only in designated parking bays, by using an active virtual permit (if renewing after 2 October 2023) or by displaying a valid paper permit.

Signs are positioned adjacent to all parking bays showing the hours of operation and the type of parking permitted, e.g. Permit Holders only.

Within a zone there may also be limited waiting (Pay and Display) parking bays which are clearly indicated by road signs. Some limited waiting bays can be used by permit holders for unlimited stays i.e. Shared Use.

See below for more information about virtual and paper parking permits in Crawley.

Virtual permit questions and answers

Why is West Sussex moving to digital permits?

There are numerous benefits to using a digital permit system. These include:

  • Reducing the impact we have on the environment by not issuing paper permits and plastic permit holders
  • Added convenience for customers being able to manage parking, at any time, rather than having to visit the Town Hall and wait for physical permits to be produced and posted

How will I be able to purchase my on-street parking permit (residents, non-residents, visitor permits)?

Permits will be able to be purchased online on our permits page via MiPermit. You will need to set up an account before purchasing or renewing your permit online. You will need to upload the required proof, for example, proof of residency and vehicle registration (V5C) document. Please ensure you have taken a picture or scanned a copy of the required proof before you start your application or have the documents to hand to upload.

How will my visitors be able to park?

You will be able to purchase your visitor permits online on our permits page via MiPermit. You will need to upload supporting evidence and then you’ll be able to enter your visitor’s details onto the system.

If I have books of resident visitor permits can I still use these once permits become digital?

Yes, if you still have a stock of resident visitor permits, these will still be valid once permits are digitalised.

I am a tradesperson and want to buy a dispensation as I need to have my work vehicle close to where I am working. How do I purchase a dispensation?

I need some parking bays suspended. How do I arrange that?

You will be able to apply for a bay suspension online on our permits page via MiPermit. You will be required to submit information about the bay(s) and for how long you require the suspension.

I have a healthcare permit which is valid across West Sussex Controlled Parking Zones. How will I renew or apply for the permit?

For now, paper permits will be issued. You can apply online and Parking Services will take payment over the phone for these permits.

I have applied for a permit. How do I know whether my application has been accepted and whether it is active?

A notification email will be sent when the permit is active. There is nothing to display in the vehicle when using digital permits. If your application is unsuccessful, you will receive an email explaining the reasons why.

How do I apply for a permit or renew my permit if I do not have access to a computer?

You can call us on 01293 438696 and a paper application will be sent to you with a covering letter as to what documentation will need to be returned with the form (copies only). Once the application has been returned us, you will be required to telephone MiPermit to make payment by phone. Postal applications can take up to 10 days to process.

How do I make payment for a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) I have received?

Payments for PCNs can still be made through our website or the automated telephone line.

How do I purchase resident visitor permits if I do not have online facilities?

You can call the MiPermit team on 0345 520 7007 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, 8am and 4pm on Saturday and 10am and 4pm on Sunday.

The team will ask questions to ensure the person is eligible to purchase resident visitor permits, for example ensuring they live within the controlled parking zone, and then take payment for the permit and advise the customer how it works.

My permit does not expire until later in the year. Is there anything I need to do now?

No, there is no action for you to take. You will receive an email or letter when your existing permit is due to expire with details on how to renew your permit digitally.

Do I need to register for a digital permit account now?

You will receive a renewal email or letter when your existing permit is due to expire with details on how to renew your permit digitally.

I am a blue badge holder and receive my first resident permit for free. How will this work?

You will be able to apply online and provide the relevant evidence and an account will be set up for you.

My paper permit does not expire until later in the year but I have changed my vehicle. What do I do?

Email the Parking Services Team at with the details of the permit (permit number, VRM and expiry date) and your address.

How do I claim a refund?

If you need a refund for any full outstanding months on your paper permit you will also need to provide us with the name of your bank, the account holder’s name, account number and sort code.

Paper permit questions and answers

Why isn’t my road included?

The scheme is monitored and if necessary expanded to include other roads. If you feel your road should be included in the parking scheme, contact West Sussex County Council

Where will I be able to park?

Each road within the scheme is marked with bays reserved for permit holders at certain times of the day. Outside these times, anyone can park there.

Permit holders can park within the bays anywhere in that zone, not just their own street. It will not be possible to guarantee anyone a permanent space outside their home.

What if I have more than one car?

Each vehicle parked on the road during the controlled hours must display a valid permit.

If a resident makes use of many different vehicles but only ever parks one at a time (e.g. company cars) the permit can display more than one registration.

How much will a permit cost me?

See a list of current charges for all permits on the resident and business parking permits page.

Why do I need to pay?

The money collected from the purchasing of permits is used to employ Civil Enforcement Officers (CEO’s) to enforce the scheme.

It also to covers administrative costs and maintenance of the signs and lines. Any excess funds are put into other road scheme related projects.

Who can buy a permit?

Any resident within a zone (excluding new developments and certain property conversions), who owns a vehicle is entitled to buy a permit. Proof of residence and vehicle ownership will be required at the time of purchase.

How do I get a permit?

Email with a completed resident permit application (please see the bottom of this page for the form), proof of address for the last three months (bank statement/utility bill) and proof of ownership of the vehicle (logbook or valid insurance certificate that must contain the applicants full name and registration of the vehicle).
You can also renew permits and purchase visitor’s permits by emailing Parking Services.

What happens if I change my car?

If you already have a permit and change your car, bring your current permit and the Vehicle Registration Document for your new car (the document must include the permit holders full name and registration of the new vehicle) to the Town Hall and we will change your permit.

There is a £5 charge for any amendments and there is also a £10 charge if you fail to return the current permit.

Alternatively, you can email the documents including a photo of the old permit cut up into pieces to us, ensuring you provide a contact telephone number to

What if I am a disabled driver?

See our disabled parking page for more information.

What if I require regular visits from carers?

We can issue you with a Carer’s Permit which costs £22 per year, or are free if you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, the higher rate of Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance.

How will the scheme be enforced?

The council employs Civil Enforcement Officers’ to enforce the scheme. Any cars parked in contravention of parking restrictions may receive a penalty charge notice.