Freedom of Information privacy notice
The following privacy notice applies to Freedom of Information Requests & Environmental Information Requests
This Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what it is used for, who it might be shared with and why and for how long it is to be kept.
What information is collected?
We will ask you for details, such as your name, address, contact number, email address and the type of service the request is about.
Why do we collect your personal information?
- Deliver services and support to you
- Manage those services we provide to you
- Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
- Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
- Keep track of spending on services
- Check the quality of services
Crawley Borough Council (CBC) is registered as a Data Controller with The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration Number Z5327706).
The council complies with The Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR.
We ensure that your personal data is processed fairly, kept safe and secure and retained for no longer than is necessary.
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) for CBC is the Head of Governance, People & Performance. If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The legal basis for processing personal data
- Processing is necessary to comply with a legal obligation
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
Who we share data with
We pass data to:
- Internal departments
- Other third-party organisations, as allowed by law
We will not share data with third-parties for marketing purposes.
Personal data will not be retained for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected. In line with the retention timescales recommended by the Information Commissioner’s Office we are required to keep your information relating to your Request for a minimum of 6 months, after which time your information will be destroyed.
You have the right to:
- Be informed of data processing (which is covered by this Privacy Notice)
- Access information (also known as a Subject Access Request)
- Have inaccuracies corrected
- Have information erased
- Restrict processing
- Data portability
- Intervention in respect of automated decision making
- Withdraw Consent (see below)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (See below)
To exercise any of these rights please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Withdrawal of consent
The lawful basis upon which CBC process personal data is set out in this notice. However, where personal data is solely processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent
Where can I get advice?
If you have any worries or questions about how your personal information is handled please contact our Data Protection Officer.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data rights, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):