Published: 09 September 2022
Her Majesty the Queen visited Crawley a number of times during her reign (1950, 1958, 1969, 1982, 1988 and 2006).
In 1950, the then Princess Elizabeth opened Manor Royal, the main road through Crawley’s industrial estate. The name had been kept a secret because it had been chosen by the Princess after looking at an old tithe map of the area.
Shortly after in 1958, Her Majesty the Queen officially opened Gatwick Airport and Queens Square. She also visited Langley Green Community Hall, Crawley Technical College, St Mary’s Church in Southgate and the George Hotel in the High Street. Just over ten years later in 1969 Her Majesty the Queen opened Holy Trinity School and visited the Town Hall. In 1982, Her Majesty the Queen laid the foundation stone at St Catherine’s Hospice in Crawley. Six years later, in 1988, Her Majesty the Queen attended the opening of the North Terminal at Gatwick Airport.
In 2006, Her Majesty the Queen again visited Queens Square before heading to Thomas Bennett Community College, Varian Medical Systems and also Carey House sheltered housing scheme in West Green.
A message from our twin town
Crawley has been twinned with Dorsten in Germany since 1974 and over this time many strong friendships have built up.
A letter of condolence has been sent to the Mayor of Crawley, Councillor Jilly Hart, and residents from Mayor Tobias Stockhoff and the chair of the Town Twinning Association.