NASB privacy notice

Nuisance and Anti-social Behaviour Team

This notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what it is used for, who it might be shared with and why and for how long it is to be kept.

We ensure that your personal data is processed fairly, lawfully kept safe and secure and retained for no longer than is necessary.

The Data Protection Officer for Crawley Borough Council (CBC) is the Head of Legal and Democratic Services. 

If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.

What information is collected?

The information we collect and may hold about you may depend on the nature of the issue we are investigating:

  • Personal information including name, address, contact details
  • Information relating to any disability, vulnerability, medical issues, support needs or caring responsibilities if applicable
  • Records of any of our contacts with you, your contact with us and any contact from third parties representing you or about you
  • Any feedback you provide on our services
  • Other personal information will vary on a case by case basis to help us investigate the issue you are reporting for example tenancy information if you are a Crawley Borough Council tenant
  • Recordings of telephone conversations if you call the council
  • In some circumstances we use and retain images and / or sound recordings captured on CCTV, camera or recording devices to help in the detection and prevention of crime, anti-social behaviour and/or tenancy breaches
  • In some circumstance we use and retain sound recordings captured from sound recording equipment to assist with our investigations

Generally the information we hold will have been provided by you (on application or enquiry forms when we communicate with you) but we may also hold information provided by third parties where this is relevant to your case e.g. from social workers, health professionals or the police. 

We will only ask for personal information that is appropriate to enable us to deliver our services.  If you do not provide the information we need then we may not be able to provide all our services to you, and ultimately you may not be able to hold a tenancy or lease with us (if you are one of our tenant’s or leaseholders). 

Why do we collect your personal information?

We collect, process and store personal information about you and other household members in order to manage, operate and deliver services to you. This includes:

  • To assist in resolving the issues you or your neighbours or others are reporting to us
  • Ensuring your contractual obligations are complied with if you are a council tenant or leaseholder
  • Complying with relevant legislation and regulations
  • Deliver services and support to you
  • Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
  • Keep track of spending on services
  • Check the quality of services

Data Controller

Crawley Borough Council is registered as a Data Controller with The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration Number Z5327706).

The Council (CBC) complies with The Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR.

We ensure that your personal data is processed fairly, kept safe and secure and retained for no longer than is necessary.

The Data Protection Officer for CBC is Head of Legal and Democratic Services. 

If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.

The legal basis for processing personal data

  • Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation
  • Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

The legal basis for processing special category data

  • Processing is necessary for the reason of substantial public interest
  • Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent

Who we share Data with

We may pass data to:

  • Internal departments.
  • Other statutory organisations with whom we have a duty to co-operate including social services and health services as necessary for exercising statutory functions (for example safeguarding).
  • Other local authorities (education, social care children and relevant housing and employment and other services).
  • The Police and other relevant authorities (e.g Probation) in relation to the prevention and detection of crime.
  • Housing Associations.
  • Benefits Agency.
  • HM Court Services.
  • Admiral Security

This list is not exhaustive as there are other circumstances where we may also be required to share information, for example:

  • To meet our legal obligations
  • In connection with legal proceedings (or where we are instructed to do so by a Court order)
  • To protect the vital interests of an individual (in a life or death situation)

We will not share data with third-parties for marketing purposes.

Retention periods

Your personal data will be retained for 6 years from the date of case closure, your personal data will then be securely destroyed. 

CCTV footage will be deleted after 28 days unless we require the footage for any enforcement action. In this case the footage will be kept for 2 years.


You have the right to:

  1. Be informed of data processing (which is covered by this Privacy Notice).
  2. Access information (also known as a Subject Access Request).
  3. Have inaccuracies corrected.
  4. Have information erased.
  5. Restrict processing.
  6. Data portability.
  7. Intervention in respect of automated decision making.
  8. Withdraw Consent (see below).
  9. Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (See below).

To exercise any of these rights please contact The Data Protection Officer.

Withdrawal of consent

The lawful basis upon which CBC process personal data is set out in this notice. However, where personal data is solely processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent.

Where can I get advice?

If you have any worries or questions about how your personal information is handled please contact our Data Protection Officer.

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data rights, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):

  • Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, DK9 5AF
  • Tel:  0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.
  • Visit
  • Email