GREENbin questions

Can I share a GREENbin with a neighbour?

Yes, the bin must be registered with only one resident for payment purposes, and will be emptied from their address.

What kind of container is provided for garden waste?

A green coloured, standard sized large 240 litre bin (approximately 110 cm high, 58 cm wide and 74 cm depth).

Do not mark the bin with paint or similar, you do not own the bin. If you would like an address label for your bin, contact us on 01293 438772.

Is there a limit on how much garden waste I can put out for collection?

All garden waste must fit into the wheeled bin provided with the lid fully shut. We do not take any additional waste left at the side of your bin.

You can apply for a second GREENbin if you regularly have too much garden waste. There will be an additional charge for this.

Where do I leave the GREENbin for collection?

Place your wheeled bin for emptying just inside the edge of your property boundary, at the nearest point to the public highway.

Make sure your GREENbin is clearly visible from the road and not blocking footpaths.

After collection, ensure your bin is stored within the boundary of your property.

My GREENbin has not been collected, what shall I do?

If your GREENbin:

  • Was placed at the edge of your property in the correct position and by 7:30am
  • Had the correct contents in it
  • Was not too heavy or had too much in it
  • Was not collected on the advertised day

Report the missed bin on myCrawley.

On a working day, the bin will be emptied within 24 hours of you reporting it.

I’m unable to get my GREENbin to the edge of my property for collection. Is there any help available?

An assisted collection service is available if you are unable to move your bins to the edge of your property.

Will my bin be replaced if it goes missing or is damaged?

We replace GREENbins that go missing or that are accidentally damaged by the collection crew or through general wear and tear.

If damage is done deliberately or on more than one occasion during the year, you will be charged £25 for a replacement. Order a replacement on myCrawley.

When will I next have to pay for the service?

An annual invoice will be sent to you a month before your renewal date, it will cover a period of 12 months from your renewal date.

What happens if I am moving house or want to stop the service?

Email the Waste and Recycling team in advance of any change of address, or if you want to stop the service. 

No refunds are available should you decide to cancel the service part way through the year.

If moving within Crawley, take the bin with you and notify us. 

Why is there a charge for the service?

The Controlled Waste Regulations 1992 allow a charge to be made for the collection of garden waste. This means that residents who do not have a garden, who home compost, or do not wish to use this service, do not pay for the running of the service through their Council Tax.