Resident parking questions

What is a Residents’ Parking Scheme?

Residents’ Parking Schemes assist people living in areas where it’s difficult to park close to their homes.

How does it work?

During hours of operation, parking is permitted only in designated parking bays, by displaying a valid permit.

Signs are positioned adjacent to all parking bays showing the hours of operation and the type of parking permitted, e.g. Permit Holders only.

Within a zone there may also be limited waiting (Pay and Display) parking bays which are clearly indicated by road signs. Some limited waiting bays can be used by permit holders for unlimited stays i.e. Shared Use.

Why isn’t my road included?

The scheme is monitored and if necessary expanded to include other roads. If you feel your road should be included in the parking scheme, contact West Sussex County Council

Where will I be able to park?

Each road within the scheme is marked with bays reserved for permit holders at certain times of the day. Outside these times, anyone can park there.

Permit holders can park within the bays anywhere in that zone, not just their own street. It will not be possible to guarantee anyone a permanent space outside their home.

What if I have more than one car?

Each vehicle parked on the road during the controlled hours must display a valid permit.

If a resident makes use of many different vehicles but only ever parks one at a time (e.g. company cars) the permit can display more than one registration.

How much will a permit cost me?

See a list of current charges for all permits on the residents parking zones page.

Why do I need to pay?

The money collected from the purchasing of permits is used to employ Civil Enforcement Officers (CEO’s) to enforce the scheme.

It also to covers administrative costs and maintenance of the signs and lines. Any excess funds are put into other road scheme related projects.

Who can buy a permit?

Any resident within a zone (excluding new developments and certain property conversions), who owns a vehicle is entitled to buy a permit. Proof of residence and vehicle ownership will be required at the time of purchase.

How do I get a permit?

Email with a completed resident permit application (please see the bottom of this page for the form), proof of address for the last three months (bank statement/utility bill) and proof of ownership of the vehicle (logbook or valid insurance certificate that must contain the applicants full name and registration of the vehicle).
You can also renew permits and purchase visitor’s permits by emailing Parking Services.

What happens if I change my car?

If you already have a permit and change your car, bring your current permit and the Vehicle Registration Document for your new car (the document must include the permit holders full name and registration of the new vehicle) to the Town Hall and we will change your permit.

There is a £5 charge for any amendments and there is also a £10 charge if you fail to return the current permit.

Alternatively, you can email the documents including a photo of the old permit cut up into pieces to us, ensuring you provide a contact telephone number to

What if I am a disabled driver?

See our disabled parking page for more information.

What if I require regular visits from carers?

We can issue you with a Carer’s Permit which costs £22 per year, or are free if you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, the higher rate of Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance.

How will the scheme be enforced?

The council employs Civil Enforcement Officers’ to enforce the scheme. Any cars parked in contravention of parking restrictions may receive a penalty charge notice.