Self build register
Why are local authorities creating a register?
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on local authorities in England to keep a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build projects in their area. This register will help inform the Council of the scale and type of demand for self-build and custom build plots in Crawley.
What is self-build and custom build?
Self-build projects are where someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home. This covers a wide range of projects including a traditional DIY self-build home to projects where the self-builder employs someone to build their home for them. Community-led projects can also be defined as self-build.
Custom build homes are where you work with a developer as an individual or a group to help deliver your own home. The developer may help to find a plot and manage the construction of the home. This is more of a hands-off approach.
Joining the register
If you wish to join the register, please complete the online form. Depending on eligibility, applicants will be added to part 1 or part 2 of the register. Part 1 will directly influence the council’s Planning Policies, and entry is subject to local eligibility criteria regarding applicants’ connections with Crawley and ability to buy plots. Part 2 of the register will be a more general guide to levels of demand for self-build/custom-build plots, and will inform the council’s approach to its land-use and housing functions. Entry to part 2 is only subject to the following criteria, which are also applicable to part 1:
- You are over 18
- The property will be your sole or main residence
- You are a British citizen, a national of another EEA state, or a national of Switzerland
- The eligibility criteria apply to every member of a group or association applying for entry on to the register.
- The register is not a public document, however headline details may be published from time to time. Personal details will not be disclosed.
- Application to join the register will be taken as confirmation that you (and other members of any association) are seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land in Crawley for your own self-build and custom housebuilding.
- By registering, you are not making a formal commitment to a self or custom build project in Crawley.
- In preparing this register, the Council is making no commitment to provide self-build or custom build plots.