The Malthouse Road Conservation Area is located along a section of Malthouse Road which is to the south of Crawley town centre. It lies within the neighbourhood of Southgate.
Malthouse Road was developed in the Edwardian period, with large high quality semi-detached houses, often with decorative porches. In 1899, Malthouse Road (taking its name from Malthouse Farm further east) had only been partially laid out with terraces on both sides. The street was completed in the early decades of the 20th century and curved to fit within the boundaries of the fields. The street was developed with high quality detached and semi-detached houses, which are characterised by their larger scale, homogeneity throughout the street and architectural detailing which has been well preserved.
The conservation area was designated on 3 April 2013 to protect its special architectural and historical interest, the character and appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance, and to ensure that any development proposals are of a scale, form, and design that respects its existing character and setting. A conservation area statement is still to be produced, though once prepared and adopted it will provide a character appraisal for the area and will set out guidance that should be followed when any development takes place.
Conservation Area Advisory Committee (CAAC)
Southgate CAAC provides comments on planning applications that are submitted within Southgate Neighbourhood Centre Conservation Area, Malthouse Road Conservation Area, and Brighton Road Conservation Area.