Skip to main content

The myCrawley self-service portal, including all online forms will be unavailable for a few hours from 9am this Saturday 24 October for essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Private housing

Private housing disrepair

If you own your home, repair and maintenance is your responsibility. A loan may be available to assist you with the cost of repair or renovation works.

If you rent your home through a landlord, you should contact them in the first instance. If they do not rectify the disrepair, contact the Private Sector Housing Team.

Disrepair issues that we deal with:

  • Urgent matters such as not having heating or hot water
  • Dampness caused by leaking roofs, rising damp and inadequate heating
  • Disrepair such as rotten windows and doors
  • Broken or unsatisfactory amenities (such as bathrooms or kitchens)
  • Overcrowding of properties
  • Fire safety in Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s)

If you choose to make a complaint we will:

  • Ask you about the disrepair (what it is and how long it’s been like that)
  • Ask you whether you have reported the disrepair to the landlord and what the outcome was
  • If appropriate, we will carry out a formal inspection to identify and assess disrepair in the property
  • Depending on the severity of any issues found we may take informal action to try to resolve the situation, or pursue formal action
  • If the landlord does not complete the work, or does not complete the work to the required standard, appropriate action will be taken under the relevant legislation