Disabled facilities grants
Grants are available for adaptations of a property to make it suitable for use by a registered disabled person or qualifying member of their family.
- Stair lift
- Level access shower
- Adapting a kitchen for wheelchair accessibility
- Providing accessible toilet facilities.
As a first step you will need to have an assessment by an Occupational Therapist from West Sussex County Council. Email an Occupational Therapist or call 01243 641121. If they recommend an adaption, with your permission your details will be passed onto our Private Sector Housing Team.
If you are a council or housing association tenant, we have a different process to make adaptations to your home.
The maximum grant is £30,000. It is means tested in relation to your income and savings, so you may be required to pay a contribution towards the cost of any works. Your contribution will be calculated in advance of the application being processed so you can decide whether you wish to proceed.
- Grant assistance is not available for works that have started
- You must intend on living in the property for five years on completion of the works
- All works must be necessary and appropriate, and be reasonable and feasible (given and age and condition of the property)
- Some work may require planning permission and/or building regulations approval, and you may need a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work
- If the cost of works is above £5,000, your contribution can be recorded as a local land charge against your property and recoverable on sale of the property in the future