Private renting for tenants

Renting in the private sector can be the quickest way to resolve your housing situation. Whether you are currently renting from a landlord or Housing Association or looking to do so, it is important to know your rights as a tenant and what to look out for.

The government has published a 'How to Rent' leaflet and checklist that provides important information on topics such as:

  • What to look out for before renting
  • Living in a rented home
  • What happens at the end of a tenancy
  • What to do if things go wrong

To find rooms or properties to rent privately you may want to look in free papers, local shop windows or on property websites such as the following:

For a list of registered letting agents in Crawley, visit Arla.

Affordability is an important factor to consider when renting privately. If you are claiming benefits then check the Local Housing Allowance to see how much you may be able to claim. 

If you need help budgeting your finances, take a look at The Money Advice Service website. There are many similar organisations that can help.
If you are struggling to pay your rent or worry that changes in circumstances may lead to affordability problems, you can get debt advice from the following services:

If you have been issued a s.21 notice to leave your property and are threatened with homelessness, please contact the Housing Assessment team by completing an online assessment form.

Housing Benefit

If you need help to pay all or part of your rent, check the Local Housing Allowance to see how much housing benefit you may be able to claim.