Ex-armed forces

Joining the housing register

If you are leaving or have left the Armed Forces within the last 5 years, you may be entitled to join the housing register if: 

  • You sustained a serious injury, illness, medical condition, or disability as a result of service 
  • You are a former serving member of the Armed Forces (a veteran)
  • You have or will stop living in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence following the death of a spouse/civil partner, who served in the regular forces, and whose death was attributable (wholly or partly) to that person’s service

To apply, complete the Housing Assessment form.

Complete a Housing Assessment Form

Applying as homeless

If you will be homeless after leaving the forces you can apply for the housing register with a letter of discharge or other evidence that confirms the date you formally leave the forces.

Other support

If we are unable to assist you or have no duty to you under homelessness legislation, there are a range of services that may be able to help: 

  • Day centres and hostels – such as Crawley Open House
  • Royal British Legion 
  • SSAFA 
  • Veterans' Housing Advice