Moving into your council house

Useful links and information when you move into your council house or flat.


Sign up to myCrawley, it makes using our website even easier. You can report repairs, pay your rent and tell the council about other problems using forms that already have your name and address filled in.

Living in your home

Basic terms of your tenancy tells you the main terms and conditions of your tenancy, looking after your home, paying your rent, and not causing any anti-social behaviour.

  • You need to read and understand your tenancy agreement as it tells you about all the terms and conditions of your tenancy. If you don’t keep to the terms of your tenancy agreement you could lose your home
  • The tenants handbook is a guide to Crawley Homes and your tenancy
  • We recommend you get home contents insurance as we don’t insure your belongings. Crystal insurance scheme for tenants is arranged in conjunction with Thistle Tenant Risks
Managing your money

Moving into your home will cost money but we would urge you to be realistic about what you can afford. As a council tenant, our Money Advisors can help if you’re struggling to get together the basics.

Help with housing costs
If you live on a low income, you may be able to get help with your rent by claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.


Call 01293 438111 to report a repair, including gas and heating repairs and gas safety check appointments.

You can also report non urgent repairs on myCrawley. 

Make sure you are at home for any appointments made and call us if you have to cancel.

Council Tax

Fill in the change of address form to register for Council Tax at your new home.

Gas and electricity

You need to get in touch with the gas and electricity suppliers as soon as you move in.

Information on who is the current supplier to your home can be obtained from National Grid for gas supplies or call 0870 608 1524. 

For electricity suppliers and your MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) visit UK power networks or call 0800 0294 285.

If you smell gas call 0800 111 999.

If you experience a power cut call 105 or visit UK power networks.

Gas safety check

The annual gas safety check and service keeps your heating working efficiently and helps to keep you safe. 

Heating programmers

Southern Water supply water to most homes in Crawley.

Thames Water provide waste water services to homes supplied by Southern Water.

If you live in Maidenbower, your supplier is South East Water.

If you live in Forge Wood, your supplier is Independent Water Networks.

Find your stopcock

A stopcock is a valve for turning the cold water system in your home on and off. It is usually found in your kitchen below the sink but not always.


Tips on reducing condensation in your home:

Register to vote

Have your say in local and national elections by registering to vote.

Personal information

If you want us to be able to talk to other people about your rent account or tenancy you’ll need to give us written permission.

Find out more about how we use your information and rights by reading our Fair Processing Notice and Crawley Homes Privacy Notice.

Continuous Recording of Social Housing lettings and sales

Since 2004, we have shared data about new lettings with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. To find out more, read the privacy notice for tenants/buyers of new social housing tenancies.

New build home user guides

Ifield Road

Forge Wood

Scott Summers Court

Bridgefield House