Ending a council tenancy

Giving notice

To give notice to end a council housing tenancy, complete the End a council tenancy form by following the link above.

If you don’t give us 28 days’ notice before moving out of your home, we will charge you for the full 28 day period.

This can be negotiated in the event of a tenant’s death.

Contact details

Tell us where you are moving to and your contact details. If you are acting on behalf of the tenant we will need your full contact details and a copy of any legal paper work giving you Power Of Attorney or a copy of the Death Certificate if the tenant has died.


All rent due needs to be paid. We can still take action to collect any rent that has not been paid even after you have ended the tenancy and left the property.

Clearing the property

We may charge you if you don’t leave the whole property (including the loft, garden and outside buildings) in a clean condition and clear of all rubbish, furnishings and belongings, including those that you no longer need. 

Our Bulky Waste Collection Service may be able to help you dispose of large bulky items.

Returning the keys

You must return all of the keys by noon on the day that your tenancy ends (this includes any to outside buildings, sheds or cupboards).

Return them to the Town Hall where you will be given a receipt. If we receive them after this time, we will charge you rent until we receive the keys.

Other council services

Use myCrawley to tell Council Tax and other council services that you have moved or someone has died.

If you have a Lifeline unit, return it to the Town Hall with the pendant and cables.