Permissions for improvements

Improvements and alterations

An alteration or improvement to your council house is any work you undertake which alters or improves the building, its grounds or the fixtures and fittings within it. 

These include but are not limited to:

  • Installing or upgrading central heating 
  • Replacing windows and doors
  • Any change to the layout of your property including fitting a new kitchen or bathroom 
  • Altering any services, i.e. electrics, gas, drainage, water

Read our information sheet if you’re planning to do improvements or alterations to your house or flat.


Don’t start work until you have received all the necessary permissions from the council.

Any permission required will not be unreasonably withheld but may be subject to conditions.

Area surveyor permission

You may also need to get Building Control approval and planning permission in addition to our permission.

Email your area surveyor:

Leaseholders charge

Leaseholders are charged £60 when requesting for our consent to make or permit any alteration.

Approved work

If you start work and don’t comply with our conditions, we will ask you to reinstate the property to the condition prior to the work or upgrade any substandard work.

If you fail to re-instate the property or upgrade the work, we will do the work and charge you for it.

You are responsible for future maintenance of the improvement or alteration. You may need to return the property to its original state at the end of your tenancy or as a leaseholder, when you dispose of the property.