Health and safety

With the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), we enforce the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 which covers occupational health and safety. Responsibilities are set through the Enforcing Authority Regulations 1998. 


Employers, self-employed and people in control of work premises have a duty to report certain types of accidents that occur in workplaces under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR). Workplaces included any place where a work activity is taking place e.g. a factory, a retail premises or a building site. 

Health and safety questions

Who do I report to?

Email us if your business is: 

  • Office-based
  • Retail or wholesale 
  • Warehousing 
  • Hotel and catering
  • Sports or leisure
  • Residential accommodation, excluding nursing homes
  • Concerned with places of worship 

For all other types of business, report a health and safety issue through the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). 

Who do the health and safety laws apply to?

To all businesses, large and small as well as employees and self-employed people. 

Why do officers inspect workplaces?

Inspectors visit workplaces to check that businesses are complying with the law, they also give advice about how you achieve it. However, officers can take enforcement action when laws have been seriously breached.

Do I need to have employers' liability insurance?

If you employ anyone it is a legal requirement and the certificate should be put on display. 

Do I need to display any posters?

The health and safety law poster should be on view if you employ anyone. 

I am just starting up my own business, is there anywhere I can go to get advice?

The HSE can help you with more detailed information.