There are restrictions governing the import of products of animal origin and non-animal origin into Great Britain. Most animal and some vegetable products require checks even if they are not intended for human consumption.
The list below gives further information about these products:
- Products of animal origin: Food Standards Agency
- Non animal origin products: Food Standards Agency
- Personal Imports - GOV.UK website
Alternatively, email email@example.com to check.
Port health charges
This is a chargeable service. The costs relate to the inspection of the goods, examination of the relevant documentation and the issue of the appropriate documentation. See our Port Health fees and charges page for the list of costs.
Border control post (BCP)
- Monday to Friday: 8am-5pm
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: 10am-4pm
Products of animal origin except for fish must be cleared by the Official Veterinary Surgeon (OVS). Products of animal origin will be held at the Border Control Post until the OVS is available.