Council Tax Reduction
How to apply
Eligible to apply
You may get a Council Tax Reduction if you (and any partner’s) income and savings are low enough given your household’s circumstances.
To apply for this you must be the person liable to pay the Council Tax for the property where you live.
- Be single or have a partner
- Have children or live alone
- Be working, unemployed or retired
- Rent or own your home
- Get help whether or not you are receiving a state benefit or pension
Not eligible for reduction
- If you are of working age and you (and any partner) have combined savings and capital over £9,000 you are not eligible for help
- If you (or your partner) have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credits and you (and any partner) have combined savings and capital over £16,000 you are not eligible for help, unless you are also in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee
Use the Government’s online calculator to work out if you have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credits.
Amount to reduction
The amount you can get depends on:
- Who lives with you
- The amount of money you have coming in
- The savings you have
Your (and your partner’s) income and savings are compared to the amount someone in your circumstances needs to live on. The greater your income and savings, the less help you will get with your Council Tax bill.
If you get Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based), Employment and Support Allowance (income related) or Pension Credit Guarantee, you will normally get enough reduction to cover all your Council Tax. However you may get less if you have other people living with you, such as grown up children.
Second adult rebate
Second Adult Rebate is a Council Tax rebate for single Council Tax payers who have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit, and who share their home with one or more adults (other than their partner) who have a low income.
The amount of Second Adult Rebate is based on the other person’s income and does not depend on your income or savings.
Contact the Benefits team on 01293 438611 for more information about Second Adult Rebate.
To report fraud, call us on freephone 0800 634 0180 or complete our form.