Crawley Borough Council
Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 65 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 that Crawley Borough Council proposes, subject to any objections received, to vary the table of fares applicable to Hackney carriages licensed by the council.
Effect of the proposed variation
The effect of the proposed variation will be to set the fares and other charges in connection with the hire of Hackney carriages licensed by the Borough of Crawley in accordance with the following table.
Tariff 1 - applies to all hirings except those mentioned in Tariffs 2 and 3 and 4
Tariff 2 - night rate (1) and other dates and times as listed in (2) to (4). Applies in all hirings in the following circumstances (except as otherwise provided for in Tariffs 3 and 4)
- Hirings on any day between the period starting at 23:00 hours and continuing until 06:30 hours on the following day (night rate)
- Hirings between 00:00 hours and 23:59 hours on all Public/Bank Holidays
- Hirings between 18:00 hours and 23:59 hours on Christmas Eve (24 December)
- Hirings between 18:00 hours and 23:59 hours on New Year’s Eve (31 December)
Tariff 3 - applies in all hirings between 23:00 hours and 0630 hours and in the following circumstances (except as otherwise provided for in Tariff 4)
- Hirings between 00:00 hours on 25 December (Christmas Day) and continuously until 23:59 hours on 26 December (Boxing Day)
- Hirings between 00:00 and 06:30 hours on 1 January
- Hirings at any time where there more than 4 passengers and Tariff 2 would otherwise apply
Tariff 4 - applies to all hirings between 06:30 hours and 23:00 hours where there are more than 4 passengers in the vehicle, except on 25 and 26 December (when Tariff 3 will apply)
A soilage charge of £100 (maximum).
Any airport drop-off charges and all tolls charges.
Where a Hackney carriage is hired by distance the proprietor or driver shall not be entitled to demand and take a fare greater than that recorded on the face of the taximeter, save for any extra charges authorized by the above table which may not be recorded on the face of such meter. The driver may charge any ‘road charge or tolls’ where applicable (this must be agreed with the customer before hire commences).
The effect of the proposed variation to the table of fares includes:
- £4.30 start rate
- First mile thereafter will be £4.50, an increase of 20p on the current mileage rate
- £3 increase in waiting time For journeys taken under Tariff 2 there will be no increase
- Tariff 3 is a 100% increase on Tariff 1
- Tariff 4 50% increase on Tariff 1
- Changes to the timings of charges on Tariff 2 and Tariff 3
- Increase in soilage charge to £100
A copy of this notice, the current table of fares, the report to the Licensing Committee and the background papers to the report can be inspected free of charge by appointment only at the Town Hall, the Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex.
A copy of this notice will be placed in the Town Hall Notice Board, The Boulevard, Crawley, RH10 1UZ and our website for 14 days starting on Wednesday 29 June 2022.
Any objections to the proposed variation should be made in writing and sent to the Licensing Officer, Taxi and Private Hire Office, Town Hall, The Boulevard, Crawley West Sussex RH10 1UZ, no later than midnight on 13 July 2022. Any objections received after this date will not be considered.
It is intended that arrangements will be made so that any objections received by the closing date will be considered by the Crawley Borough Council’s Licensing Committee at the first available opportunity. However, in the event that no objections are received by the above date, the variation to the table of fares as specified in this notice shall take effect on either 14 July 2022 or, if there is one or more objections which are later withdrawn, the date the last objection is withdrawn, whichever is later.