Insurance privacy notice
This notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what it is used for, who it might be shared with and why and for how long it is to be kept.
What information is collected?
- Contact details (including but not limited to name, address, telephone number, email address
- Information required for the processing of insurance claims to include contact details and date of birth
Why do we collect your personal information?
- Deliver services and support to you
- Manage those services we provide to you
- Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
- Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
- Keep track of spending on services
- Check the quality of services
Crawley Borough Council is registered as a Data Controller with The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration No. Z5327706).
The Council (CBC) complies with The Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR. We ensure that your personal data is processed fairly, kept safe and secure and retained for no longer than is necessary.
The Data Protection Officer for CBC is Head of Legal and Democratic Services.
If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
The legal basis for processing personal data
- Consent of the data subject.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of a data subject or another person.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
Who we share data with
- Internal departments
- Local and county authorities (education, social care children and relevant housing and employment and other services)
- Other third-party organisations, as allowed by law
- Other partner agencies that provide services on our behalf
- Agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate, such as the police
- HM Court Services
- The Councils insurers
We will not share data with third-parties for marketing purposes.
Transfer outside the European Economic Area
If your data needs to be transferred we will make sure that an adequate level of protection is in place.
Personal data will be retained for 6 years from the settlement date of the claim.
You have the right to:
- Be informed of data processing (which is covered by this privacy notice)
- Access your personal information ( known as a Subject Access Request)
- Have inaccuracies corrected
- Have information erased
- Restrict processing
- Data portability
- Intervention in respect of automated decision making/profiling
- Withdraw Consent (see below)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (See below)
To exercise any of these rights please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Withdrawal of consent
The lawful basis upon which CBC process personal data is that it is necessary in order to comply with its legal obligations and to enable it to perform tasks carried out in the public interest. However, where personal data is solely processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent.
Where can I get advice?
If you have any worries or questions about how your personal information is handled please contact our Data Protection Officer.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data rights, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):