Skip to main content

Supporting the community

Vulnerable and older people

If you are a vulnerable person and don’t have the support you need, please tell us.

You can call us on 01293 438000 Mon - Fri between 9am and 5pm.

Our volunteers will signpost you to the help you need. We may also be able to help you directly.

The Crawley Care Collaborative Primary Care Network

The network is very conscious of the impact Covid-19 is having on patients but particularly those from a Black And Minority Ethnic (BAME) background.

They’ve created information packs containing useful information about local support for those in need as well as their families. This includes information on the importance of attending regular health checks and vaccination appointments as well as guidance on how to access health services.

The pack also covers wellbeing, debt and finance, housing issues, mental health, employment and includes leaflets for Carers Support, Relate Counselling, Citizens Advice, Crawley Town Community Foundation, Royal Voluntary Service and so much more.

The network has also created short videos in different languages promoting the services and support available.

Members of the BAME community are asked to volunteer to represent their community on the Patient Participation Groups (PPG) of each surgery. For more information about the packs or to enquire about joining your surgery PPG, please contact your surgery.

Social distancing

People over 70 and those with underlying health conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus.

We should all take measures to reduce social interaction - social distancing – to protect older people and vulnerable adults.

Public Health England have provided guidance on social distancing for everyone.

Sheltered schemes

We’ve put a number of processes and measures in place in our sheltered housing scheme to protect its residents, staff and essential visitors:

Are there any restrictions in place around friends and relatives visiting my sheltered housing scheme?

Only essential visitors and colleagues should be visiting your building:

  • Carers (including family and friends if they are providing essential care for you)
  • Older Person Support Officers
  • Health professionals
  • Scheme cleaners
  • Contractors undertaking emergency repairs
  • Contractors/managers undertaking essential health and safety checks or servicing
  • Window cleaners and gardeners (providing they do not access the building)
  • Meals on wheels or similar providers
  • Delivery drivers.

All visitors, with the exception of carers or health professionals delivering personal care, must observe social distancing rules.

If you are an extremely vulnerable person and are shielding, people delivering to you must not come into your home and you must not leave your home to meet them.

What is social distancing?

Measures introduced to reduce the transmission of coronavirus and protect people. They apply to everyone and you should protect yourself by following them.

Can I use the communal areas, such as the lounge, gardens and laundry?

We’ve taken the decision to temporarily close all communal lounges and kitchens. Other communal areas, such as laundries, remain open but please ensure only one person is in there at a time. Social distancing guidelines are requested in all other areas.

Will communal areas still be cleaned as normal?

We are focusing on regularly sanitising touch areas including the cleaning of surfaces in corridors, banisters, lift buttons and window and door handles.

How do I get in touch with my Older Person Support Officer (OPSO)?

We are currently managing the schemes remotely and will not be making any home visits unless absolutely necessary. An OPSO will attend the scheme to carry essential health and safety checks including fire alarm systems in certain schemes. 

If you need to contact your OPSO please call the office number and you will be redirected to speak to them or leave a message and they will return your call.

If you need to talk about your rent get in touch with your housing officer.

Will repairs still take place?

Only emergency and urgent work is being completed in tenants’ homes. No work will be carried out if you are isolating or shielding, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs and where the tradesperson is willing to do so.

If we have to work in your home, we will ask if you are self-isolating or shielding and agree steps to keep you and our operatives and engineers safe. We will apply social distancing rules and may ask you to stay in another room. Operatives and engineers will wear appropriate protective equipment including gloves and follow hygiene guidelines.

We will continue to carry out gas safety checks where possible.


We will happily undertake requests for new installations and respond to faults. Service enquiries and advice will be conducted by phone.


Metrobus services

Metrobus has changed its timetables to better reflect customer demand.

See their updates on services and FAQs.


Food supplies

Age UK

Food parcels for vulnerable older people. Call 01903 731800 or email.

St John’s Church ‘Love Your Neighbour’ initiative

Together with other churches in Crawley the Love Your Neighbour initiative are delivering food parcels on behalf of Easter Team to those most in need, shopping and offering phone friends to those who are lonely, isolated or shielding. Call 01293 522692.

Red Cross

Food delivery service for those recently discharged from hospital. Call 0300 456 1981.

Bewbush Children and Family Centre

Essential food and supplies service for vulnerable families. Call 01293 651760.