Animal issues


Barking dogs

Most noisy animal complaints are about barking dogs. As barking usually lasts a short while or is intermittent, it can be difficult to assess the level of nuisance or catch the animal in the act. 

We want everyone to enjoy living in their homes and we would ask all residents to be both considerate and tolerant. 

We suggest that you have a friendly and informal conversation with your neighbour as they may not be aware their pet is causing a disturbance. You may wish to use our Dear Neighbour cards.  

If the Dear Neighbour card approach is unsuccessful, you can email or call 01293 438438.

Dangerous dogs

It’s against the law to let a dog (all breeds) be dangerously out of control anywhere, including in the owner’s home.

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

  • Injures someone
  • Makes someone worried that it might injure them

A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:

  • It attacks someone’s animal
  • The owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

If a dog has bitten or is dangerous and you believe it lives in a council property, report this to us.

If you fear for your immediate safety contact the Police. 

Dog fouling

If your neighbour fails to clear up their dog’s faeces in their garden or communal areas. Try speaking to them to make them aware of their responsibility. 

Make the Community Wardens aware of areas where a lot of dog fouling occurs so they can patrol. A fixed penalty notice may be issued if the warden witnesses an owner failing to pick their dog’s faeces in a public space.