Main Menu

or browse by theme


REDtop Bin FAQ

Recycling is collected fortnightly and must be placed out for collection by 7:30am on collection day.

To check when your recycling will be collected, please visit the Rubbish and Recycling Calendars page.

Does the council provide containers for recycling?

For individual properties a standard sized large 240 litre bin (1,100mm high, 580mm wide and 740mm depth) is provided for paper, card, glass bottles, jars, cartons, plastic bottles and containers, metal cans and aerosols and foil. Please provide your own plastic carrier bags for textiles and small electrical items, placing the bags next to your bins on the appropriate collection day.

Some residents do have a 140 litre (small sized) or 180 litre (medium sized) bin but we no longer order these due to a lack of requests for them and the fact that you can now recycle more materials in your REDtop bin (compared to when we first introduced the service). If you would like to swap your small or medium sized recycling bin for a large one please complete the online form. If you already have a large recycling bin and are struggling to fit everything into it, you can request a second one by completing the online form .

Crawley Borough Council owns the bin but it is your responsibility to look after it and keep it clean. Please do not mark the bin with paint or similar. If you would like an address label for your bin please contact us on 01293 438772. If you move house please ensure you leave the bin at the property.

If you live in a flat or where there is communal waste provision, we will provide recycling bins. The number and size of bins provided depends on the number of dwellings and the space available.

What do I do if I have more items to recycle than will fit in the REDtop bin?

Put it in a cardboard box or other suitable container next to your bin. Please do not use carrier bags or sacks as this looks like normal rubbish. If you find you regularly can’t fit your recycling into your bin, you can request a larger or second REDtop bin (if you already have the large sized one).

Where do I need to leave my recycling for collection?

Leave your REDtop recycling bin and bags containing textiles and small electrical items just inside the edge of your property boundary at the nearest point to the public highway where the collection vehicle stops.

Please don’t put your bins and bags out on footpaths where they could get in the way of pedestrians, prams and wheelchair users passing by.

Some residents have their recycling collected from the back of their properties. This is usually where there is direct access to the road and where there is no vehicle access to the front of the property.

After collection, please ensure your bin is stored within the boundary of your property and is not left on the public highway all week.

If you live in a flat or have communal waste facilities then the location of where you place your recycling for collection is your bin store or other communal point where your bins are stored.

Not sure where to place your rubbish? Follow what your neighbours do or contact us.

We will let you know if we need to change your collection point.

My recycling has not been collected, what should I do?

If your recycling is not collected on the advertised day and there is no bin hanger attached to the bin indicating why, please call us on 01293 438772. Missed recycling will be picked up within 24 hours (working days only Mon – Fri) of you calling us.

The collection crews may knock on your door at the time of collection to speak to you directly about any issues with your recycling collection. This may include where wrong items that can’t be recycled have been placed into REDtop bins or where the bin is not presented in the correct place for collection. We know residents sometimes find this confusing, so if a member of our collection team knocks at your door they are there to help you dispose of your recycling in the right way.

I’m unable to move my recycling to the edge of my property for collection. Is there any help available?

An assisted collection service is available for those who live alone and are elderly or disabled and are unable to move their bins to the edge of their property. For more information, please visit our Assisted Collections page .

Will my bin be replaced if it goes missing or is damaged?

We will replace recycling bins that go missing, are accidentally damaged by the collection crew or through general wear and tear. If damage is done deliberately or on more than one occasion you may be charged for a replacement. Please ring 01293 438772 to order your replacement or request one online .

01293 438000 click to email us
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex
RH10 1UZ
Open Mon - Fri 8:30am to 5pm

Contact Us

01293 438000

email: click to email us

Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex
RH10 1UZ
Open Mon - Fri 8:30am to 5pm

GovDelivery icon