Main Menu

or browse by theme


Controlled Parking Questions

What is a Residents’ Parking Scheme?

A Residents’ (or Controlled) Parking Scheme is a method of controlling parking activity, and is introduced to assist people living in areas where they experience difficulty in parking close to their homes as a result of the proximity of the railway station, hospital or town centre attracting commuters and/or shoppers.

It is designed to prevent all day on-street commuter parking, make it easier for residents and visitors to park, enhance road safety, and remove obstructions to private accesses by eliminating indiscriminate parking.

Such parking is detrimental to both the environment and personal safety. Emergency vehicles can be obstructed in narrow roads, footways are often damaged and pedestrians obstructed by parked vehicles.

How does it work?

Controlled Parking Zone signs are located at all zone entry points. These inform motorists of the hours during which parking is controlled in the area in which they are entering.

During the hours of operation, parking is permitted only in designated parking bays, by displaying a valid permit. Signs are positioned adjacent to all parking bays showing the hours of operation and the type of parking permitted, e.g. Permit Holders only.

Within a zone there may also be limited waiting (Pay & Display) parking bays which are clearly indicated by road signs. Some limited waiting bays can be used by permit holders for unlimited stays i.e. Shared Use.

Why isn’t my road included?

The scheme is intended for those roads in Crawley which have been identified by the public throughout a programme of extensive consultation as having the worst problems, or are likely to in the future.

The scheme will be monitored and if necessary expanded to include other roads. If you feel your road should be included in the parking scheme in future, please contact West Sussex County Council who are responsible for the scheme.

Where will I be able to park?

Each road within the scheme is marked with bays reserved only for permit holders at certain times of the day. Outside these times, anyone can park there. Permit holders can park within the bays anywhere in that zone, not just their own street. It will not be possible to guarantee anyone a permanent space outside their home. However, restricted hours for parking during the day will prevent commuter parking and will mean easier access to parking spaces.

You will not need a permit if you always park your car within the boundary of your property.

What if I have more than one car?

Each vehicle parked on the road during the controlled hours must display a valid permit. Therefore, owning more than one car will require the purchase of more than one permit if they are to be parked on the street at the same time. If a resident makes use of many different vehicles but only ever parks one at a time (e.g. company cars) the permit can display more than one registration.

How much will a permit cost me?

See a list of current charges for all permits .

Why do I need to pay?

The money collected from the purchasing of permits is used to employ Civil Enforcement Officers (CEO’s) to enforce the scheme and also to cover administrative costs. All monies raised legally have to be ring-fenced for use on the Highway.

Why doesn’t Council Tax or money collected from parking fines pay for the scheme?

No Residents’ Parking Scheme in the county uses Council Tax to pay for it. These parking schemes are an opportunity for a select few to benefit from an improved environment. Each resident is paying for a service beyond that covered by the Council Tax.

Who can buy a permit?

Any resident within a zone (excluding new developments and certain property conversions), who owns a vehicle is entitled to buy a permit provided there is sufficient remaining capacity. Proof of residence and vehicle ownership will be required at the time of purchase.

How do I get a permit?

Here is a link to the permit application form . You can visit the Contact Centre on the ground floor of the Town Hall to apply for new permits. Please bring all the relevant documents with you. Renewals and payment for visitor’s vouchers are also done at Parking Services.

What happens if I change my car?

If you already have a permit and change your car, bring your current permit and the Vehicle Registration Document for your new car to the Town Hall and we will change your permit. There is a £10 charge for any amendments and there is also a £10 charge if you fail to return the current permit. Alternatively you can email, scan or post the documents to us, ensuring you provide a contact telephone number.

What if I am a Disabled Driver?

Please see our Disabled Drivers page for more information.

What if I require regular visits from carers?

If you require regular visits from carers (professional or family/friends) to provide personal care we can issue you with a Carer’s Permit which costs £20.00 per year, or are free if you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, the higher rate of Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance.

How will the scheme be enforced?

The Council employs Civil Enforcement Officers’ to enforce the scheme. Any cars parked in contravention of parking restrictions will receive a penalty charge notice.

(01293) 438696 or 438496 (01293) 438604 email us
Parking Services

Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438696 or 438496

fax: (01293) 438604

email: email us

Parking Services

Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon