Main Menu

or browse by theme


Do I Need Planning Permission?

This is our most frequent asked question. Please find resources below that signpost you to basic advice to find out whether your proposals need planning permission in the first place. This page is more relevant to householders and small scale developments.

We also provide a service of planning pre-application advice. Please see the Pre-application Advice page to find more.


Planning guidance is available online from the Planning Portal , which provides advice on whether you need to make a planning application.

Advice if you are planning to pave your front garden

Listed buildings and houses in conservation areas

Planning controls are more restrictive in Conservation Areas and for Listed Buildings. In most cases you will have to apply for planning permission and/ or Listed Building Consent.

For further advice, please see the conservation areas and listed buildings in Crawley page.

Dropped kerbs and crossovers

To find out if you need planning permission for a dropped kerb or crossover, please call the Planning Office on 01293 438512.

You will always need a licence from West Sussex County Council for all types of cross-over or dropped kerbs, even if planning permission is not needed. They are the local highway authority and will consider highway safety, driveway design and explain any contractual issues.

To find out more, please contact West Sussex County Council .


The Planning Portal has information for businesses under their Common Projects section:

Planning (Pre application) Enquiries

If you are unsure about the planning process, whether your proposals are likely to be acceptable, or whether you need planning permission please submit an enquiry. See our Planning Pre-application Advice page and the Pre-application Service Guidance Note (charges effective from 1 October 2018), where we explain our service offer, what we will need from you as well as fees and whether your project is exempted from such fees, including links to the relevant enquiry forms.

(01293) 438512 (01293) 438495 click to contact us
Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438512

fax: (01293) 438495

email: click to contact us

Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon