Main Menu

or browse by theme


Young People & Housing

Young man on sofa
Young man on sofa

Housing Options for Young People

Housing Support & Advice

Supported Housing Options

There is supported accommodation available for single young people aged 16+ who cannot remain in their current home. Each scheme has their own policies and procedures and will accommodate a different age range and support need. This is not emergency accommodation and is seen as part of a support package and agreed plan for the young person.

For example:

Sussex Central YMCA Foyer
Address: Horsham Road, Crawley, RH11 7AQ
Tel: (01293) 514222

Joining the Housing Register

To enquire whether you can join the housing register, call (01293) 438000, or visit the Housing Help Point at the Town Hall.

Making a homeless application

A young person does not need to be sleeping on the streets to be considered homeless. If you have no permanent home you could be classed as homeless and seen as in priority need due to your age.

The first step is to talk to us. We will discuss your situation and talk through the housing options available to you. If necessary and appropriate, we will discuss making a homeless application; you could then be offered temporary accommodation. This could be in bed and breakfast or a hostel and may be outside the Crawley area.

Temporary accommodation will only be considered as a very last resort, due to the limited places available and the cost involved. A few weeks in bed and breakfast or a hostel may provide a roof over your head, but it can create other problems, like rent arrears or debt and may result in you being in a far worse position.

Find out more on our Homelessness Pages .

Important – Change to Housing Benefit

If you are single, under 35 and start a social tenancy between 1 April 2016 and 1 April 2018, the most housing benefit you can claim from 1 April 2018 onwards is the shared accommodation rate (currently £79.55 a week). You will need to plan how you will pay the difference when this happens, as getting into arrears will result in you losing your home.

Here’s an example:

If you rent a one bed property at £151.50 per week, after 1 April 2018 you will only receive a maximum of £79.55 in housing benefit so will have to pay the remaining £71.95 per week yourself (or £287.80 per month).

Other Housing Support

There are other support agencies within the local area for young people and their families. They all specialise in different areas.

Find it out Centre

For Young people 13-25 focusing on employment & training and can refer to other agencies if required for further support.

Centenary House, Woodfield Road, RH10 8TP

Tel: 01293 843334, Contact by email

Social Services

The number below will direct you to a contact centre, who will then transfer you to the service you require.

Tel: 01243 642555


(01293) 438433 click to email us
Housing Options Team
Town Hall
The Boulevard
Crawley RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438433

email: click to email us

Housing Options Team
Town Hall
The Boulevard
Crawley RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon