Main Menu

or browse by theme


Permissions for Improvements

Improvements and alterations

An alteration or improvement to your home is any work you undertake which alters or improves the current fabric of the building, its grounds or the fixtures and fittings within it.

These include but are not limited to:

  • Installing or upgrading central heating
  • Replacing windows and doors
  • Any change to the layout of your property including fitting a new kitchen or bathroom
  • Altering any services, i.e. electrics, gas, drainage, water.

Thinking of doing improvements or alterations to you house or flat? Read our Information Sheet first.

Written permission

Before council tenants and leaseholders can carry out improvements or alterations to their homes they need to get written permission from the council as their housing landlord before they do any work.

Any permission sought will not be unreasonably withheld but may be subject to reasonable conditions.

You may also need to get Building Control approval and/or Planning permission in addition to landlord’s permission.

Leaseholders charge

If you are a leaseholder, there will be a charge of £60 to consider your request for landlords consent to make or permit any alteration.

Contact your area surveyor to request permission

Write to them:

Town Hall,

The Boulevard,


RH10 1UZ

Email them:

Don’t start work until you have received all the necessary permissions

You will be responsible for the future maintenance of the improvement or alteration and you may need to return the property to its original state at the end of your tenancy or, as a leaseholder, when you dispose of the property.

You will need to comply with any conditions and provide any certificates and/or documents requested.

If you start work, we will consider you accept the conditions set out and if you don’t comply with the conditions we will ask you to reinstate the property to the original condition prior to the work, or up-grade any sub-standard work (as appropriate). If you fail to re-instate the property or up-grade the work, we will do the work and charge you for it.

Can you afford it?

Make sure you can afford to do all the work you want to do and can afford to maintain it, before you start.

01293 438111 Click to email us
Crawley Homes
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: 01293 438111

email: Click to email us

Crawley Homes
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon