Main Menu

or browse by theme


Ending a Council Tenancy

Ending a tenancy and moving home can be a very stressful time.

We hope that the following information will guide you and help you to remember everything that you need to do as you hand the home back to us.

Giving Notice

When you are moving out of your home you need to give us 28 days notice. If you do not we will charge you for the full 28 day period. This can be negotiated in the event of a tenant’s death.

Different types of tenancies need to give different types of notice so please contact us as soon as possible so that we can send you the right forms.



Pound Hill, Maidenbower, Northgate,
Three Bridges, Bewbush or Forge Wood

Call 01293 438687
or email Housing East

Furnace Green, Tilgate,
Broadfield or Gossops Green

Call 01293 438390
or email Housing South

Ifield West, Ifield, Langley Green,
West Green or Southgate

Call 01293 438724
or email Housing West

If you have a secure or introductory tenancy you will need to give us a Notice to Quit.

If you have a fixed term flexible tenancy you will need to give a Notice to End the flexible tenancy in accordance with the break clause, unless the tenant has died when a landlords break notice will be needed.

Contact details

Make sure you tell us where you are moving to. If you are acting on behalf of the tenant we will need your full contact details and a copy of any legal paper work giving you POWER OF ATTORNEY or a copy of the Death Certificate if the tenant has died.


Please make sure that all the rent due has been paid. We can still take action to collect any rent that has not been paid even after you have ended the tenancy and left the property.

Clearing the property

We may charge you if you do not make sure that the whole property (including the loft, garden and outside buildings) is left in a clean condition and clear of all rubbish, furnishings and belongings, including those that you no longer need.

The Council’s Special Collection Service may be able to help you dispose of large bulky items. There may be a charge for this. Contact them on 01293 438772.


We may charge you if we have to carry out any repairs to the property, or its fixtures and fittings that are due to damage.

Returning the keys

You must return all of the keys by noon on the day that your tenancy ends (this includes any to outside buildings, sheds or cupboards).

Return them to the Contact Centre Reception at the Town Hall where you will get a receipt. If we receive them after this time, we will charge you rent until we receive the keys.

Notice to others

Don’t forget that if you are moving home or ending your tenancy there are many other people who you need to tell.

If you have a Lifeline Unit

If you have a Lifeline Unit that is no longer needed you will need to return it to the Town Hall.

Bring the whole unit in a bag to the Contact Centre Desk where you will then be issued with a receipt for it. You will need to return the following:

If you are unable to bring the unit back to us, we may be able to collect it for a charge.

Please email Lifeline to find out more.

Once we have received the unit any charges for it will stop.

(01293) 438000 Click to contact us
Crawley Homes
Housing Management
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438000

email: Click to contact us

Crawley Homes
Housing Management
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon