Main Menu

or browse by theme


Council Tax discounts

Status discounts

Your Council Tax bill is based on two adults living in the property as their main home (called sole or main residence).

A discount of 25% applies when only one adult (aged 18 or over) lives in the property as their main home.

For Council Tax purposes, some adults are not counted in working out the number of adults resident in a property:

  • Full time students (and certain non-UK spouses/dependents) student nurses, apprentices, Youth Training trainees and foreign language assistants.
  • People who are permanently cared for in nursing homes, care homes or hospitals.
  • People who are severely mentally impaired.
  • 18 or 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities.
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18 (more than one adult can be disregarded as carer if all required conditions are met)
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions.
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)

Second Homes and Empty Properties

No discount applies to furnished property not occupied by anyone as their main home (called sole or main residence).

Please note that there is no statutory definition of sole or main residence, but various factors are likely to be significant in ascertaining whether a property is occupied by someone as their main home or as a second home. These include, but are not limited to where someone’s family (if married or in a civil partnership) are resident, if there are children, where they attend school, where someone is registered for the likes of doctor and dentist, security of tenure etc.

Properties that are unoccupied, undergoing structural alteration or repair are still liable to pay the full amount of Council Tax.

If your property is empty and unfurnished, there is an exemption to Council Tax for the first 7 days only. After this period, the full charge is applied.

Other Discounts

A charge of 50% applies to dwellings consisting of a pitch occupied by a caravan or mooring occupied by a boat.

A charge of 50% applies to dwellings where the liable person is also liable for Council Tax for another job-related dwelling provided to him or his spouse by reason of their employment (i.e. tied accommodation).

People with Disabilities

If anyone living in your home has a disability and needs an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room to meet their special needs or there is extra floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair, we may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill. You will be charged at the rate for the band immediately below that shown for your property. You can still qualify for a reduction if your property is in Band A.

This relief does not apply to stair-lifts or if the only adaptation to your home is your only kitchen or bathroom.

If you think you may be entitled to this reduction, please visit the Contact Centre at the Town Hall, telephone 01293 438616 or email for further information. Please note, a brief inspection may be required before any reduction can be granted.

Contact Us

If you think you may be entitled to an exemption or a discount, please visit the Contact Centre on the Ground Floor, Town Hall, Crawley or telephone 01293 438616 or email .

If your Council Tax demand shows that a discount has been applied, by law you must tell the Council of any change of circumstances affecting your entitlement, within 21 days of the change. For example, if second adult becomes resident, a child reaches their 18th birthday or a student ceases to attend college.

You can be fined up to £70 if you don’t.

(01293) 438616
(01293) 511803 Click to email us
Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438616

fax: (01293) 511803

email: Click to email us

Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon