Main Menu

or browse by theme


Food Premises Registration

Registration of premises used for a food business, (including clubs, playgroups, society associations, tuck shops, market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.
It involves completing a very simple form which details the name, address, type of food business, the foods handled, the name of the proprietor and the address of head office or registered office, number of people engaged in the food business and whether or not it is a seasonal business.

It is an offence to give false or incomplete information.

Why register?

Article 6, paragraph 2 of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 requires food businesses which fall within the Crawley Borough area to be registered with it.

The purpose of the registration is to provide information for the Local Authority, which is responsible for enforcing food law, about the food businesses within its area so that it can target inspections and education programmes effectively.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any of the activities related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food, you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the Local Authority. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, Schools, playgroups, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, clubs, tuck shops etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with a permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse you only need to tell the Local Authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles, but no permanent premises, you must tell the Authority where they are normally kept.

The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls)and some domestic premises. You should contact your Local Authority if you think you might be exempt.

When do I register?

Anyone starting a new food business must register with their Local Authority at least 28 days before opening.

How do I register?

Print off and complete the Food Registration form and send it with the appropriate signature to Crawley Borough Council, marked for the attention of the Environmental Health Manager. The address is on the form.

Is there a charge?

There is no charge for registration and Local Authorities cannot refuse to register premises.

Does it run out after a period of time?

Registration does not need periodic renewal. However, it is the responsibility of the proprietor to notify the Local Authority of any changes in the detail provided.

Approved Premises

A caterer or a food retailer which sells food directly to the public will normally only need to be registered with the local authority.

However if your business involves preparing, manufacturing or handling products of animal origin which are sold onto other businesses, your premises may need to be approved by the local authority.

Products of animal origin can include:

It is a legal requirement that approval, if needed, is obtained before starting to trade. You can apply for food premises approval using our application form , which provides a list of supporting documentation which you will need to supply before the application can be processed.

Once completed, please email the application form and supporting documentation back to us or post it to Environmental Services, Crawley Borough Council, The Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1UZ.

Following receipt of the application form, this will be processed and you will be contacted by an officer in Environmental Health to arrange an approval visit to your site.

(01293) 438218 (01293) 438604 click to contact us
Environmental Services Division
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

(01293) 438218

fax: (01293) 438604

email: click to contact us

Environmental Services Division
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon